10.03.2011

"making do" red velvet cupcakes

Last night I got a hankering to make some red velvet cupcakes. I've been using this cake recipe for awhile and it is absolutely divine. However, I was short on some ingredients and had to make do with what I had on hand. Luckily, the results were still scrumptious. I feel slightly embarrassed admitting this, but I substituted buttermilk with a mixture of one half hazelnut coffee creamer and one half skim milk. I know, I know - real bakers must be shaking their disapproving heads, but they still turned out supremely moist. I also omitted the red dye and berry topping, because I was out. This cake recipe yields about thirty cupcakes and I suggest keeping them in the oven for a short twenty minutes. They may not be perfect, but they're still yummier than any store-bought sweets.

2 comments:

  1. those look awesome! and i love the name of your blog! really cute! nice to meet you via BYW! -kg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingenious substitutions! I love it!!! So glad to have found you via the BYW forum!!! I look forward to reading more posts like this one! See you in class!! I love your banner too by the way!

    ReplyDelete