12.06.2011

boardwalk empire + yelena bryksenkova

Are any of you watching Boardwalk Empire this season? Oh my goodness, the last few episodes have been absolutely mad and it is taking all my willpower not to read all the finale spoilers. Aesthetically this show is a dream (the writing is pretty sharp and exciting, too). I love how presently most of the female characters still have those wonderfully coiled long locks and I adore how delicate and sheer all of their garments are. A few weeks ago I discovered the work of Yelena Bryksenkova and was particularly intrigued by her Ziegfeld girl illustrations. It immediately reminded me of my favorite series (well, besides Mad Men and Downton Abbey). I like the way Yelena's girls are full-bodied and almost amazonian in stature. I also love the contrast between the colorful background patterns and the black/grey/white figures. Lovely!

3 comments: